If you're looking to better understand your body and improve your health - you may want to look into a resting metabolic test. Resting metabolic testing is a non-invasive test that measures how many calories your body burns at rest. This test can provide valuable information about your body's metabolism, which can help you make informed decisions about your diet and exercise regimen.
Benefits of Resting Metabolic Testing
The results of resting metabolic testing can provide several benefits. For example, the test can help you determine the following:
- Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): The number of calories your body burns at rest to maintain essential bodily functions like breathing and circulation. Knowing your BMR can help you determine your daily caloric needs.
- Your Metabolic Efficiency: The percentage of calories your body burns during physical activity. Knowing your metabolic efficiency can help you tailor your exercise routine to optimize calorie burn.
- Your Ideal Caloric Intake: By combining your BMR with your metabolic efficiency, you can determine your ideal daily caloric intake to achieve weight loss or maintenance goals.
What to Expect During Resting Metabolic Testing
Resting metabolic testing is a quick and easy procedure that typically takes 10-15 minutes. During the test, you will be asked to sit comfortably in a chair or lie on a bed while wearing a mask measuring the amount of oxygen you consume and the carbon dioxide you produce.
You will be instructed to breathe normally while the machine calculates your metabolic rate. The results will be available immediately, and a healthcare professional can help you interpret the results and provide recommendations based on your goals.
Based on the results of a resting metabolic test, a healthcare professional may provide the following recommendations:
- Adjust caloric intake: Depending on the individual's goals, the healthcare professional may recommend increasing or decreasing caloric intake to achieve weight loss or maintenance. By knowing the individual's BMR and metabolic efficiency, the healthcare professional can help them determine the ideal caloric intake to reach their goals.
- Modify exercise routine: Knowing the individual's metabolic efficiency can help the healthcare professional determine the ideal exercise routine to optimize calorie burn. For example, if the individual has low metabolic efficiency, the healthcare professional may recommend more high-intensity exercises to increase calorie burn.
- Track progress: The healthcare professional may recommend regular follow-up appointments to track progress and adjust recommendations as needed. Resting metabolic testing can be repeated to determine changes in metabolic rate and adjust recommendations accordingly.
In conclusion, resting metabolic testing is a valuable tool for optimizing their diet and exercise routine. The test provides valuable information about your body's metabolism and can help you determine your daily caloric needs and ideal exercise routine. Speak to your healthcare provider or a local nutritionist to learn more about resting metabolic testing!